The Half Double Crochet stitch (abbreviated HDC) is one of the basic crochet stitches and is very easy to learn. It’s also one of the most common stitches in crochet and I love using it for winter crochet makes! In this Half Double Crochet stitch tutorial you will learn:
- Half double crochet stitch – short instructions
- Half double crochet stitch – photo tutorial
- How to turn and start a new row
- Half double crochet stitch video tutorial
- How to change colour
- Free patterns with half double crochet stitches
Difficulty: Easy / Beginner
Abbreviation: HDC (also Hdc or hdc)
Materials: any worsted weight or bulky yarn. You can use any type of yarn as long as you can see the stitches clearly. It might be easier to see the stitches in a lighter colour and bulkier yarn.
Crochet hook: 5mm H-8 (adjust the size of crochet hook to the type of yarn you’re using)
Follow the steps below or scroll down to watch the short video demonstration to learn how to half double crochet.
How to Half Double Crochet (US) Instructions:
- Yarn over
- Insert the hook in the specified stitch
- Yarn over
- Pull up a loop. You’ll have 3 loops on your hook
- Yarn over again
- Pull through all three loops on the hook
You just made a Half Double Crochet stitch! To make another half double crochet stitch follow the steps 1 to 6. To start a new row, chain 2 for the height (turning chain) and work a half double crochet in the first stitch.
Half Double Crochet Stitch Photo Tutorial
To start learning this stitch, you’ll need some yarn and a crochet hook. When you’re ready, follow the steps below or scroll down for the video demonstration.
In order to practise this crochet stitch first make a slip knot and chain any number of chains. For the purpose of practise let’s chain 20.
Row 1: Yarn over the hook
Insert your hook into the third chain from the hook
Yarn over again
Pull through the stitch. You’ll have 3 loops on your hook now.
Pull through all three loops on your hook. That’s one Half Double Crochet.
Repeat the steps 1 to 6 into the next chain stitch. Here is a snapshot of steps to make a HDC.
Continue to the end of the chain.
How to Start a New Row
- When starting the next row chain 2 and turn
- Yarn over and insert your hook into the first stitch under both loops of the stitch.
- Complete the row working HDC into every stitch.
- Make sure not to skip the very last stitch.
Note: You should have the same amount of stitches in each row.
Half Double Crochet Stitch Video Tutorial
Half Double Crochet – How to Change Colour
To start with a new colour in the next row we will have to switch to the new yarn in the middle of the last half double crochet stitch before the next row. Follow the steps below to learn how to change colour.
Start the last HDC in the row as normal.
- Insert your hook in the last stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop. You’ll have 3 loops on your hook.
- Joining new colour: Loop new yarn over hook and pull up a loop to finalise the stitch with the new yarn.
- Chain 2 with the new colour and turn.
- Continue with the new colour.
Free Patterns with Half Double Crochet Stitches
If you like this stitch and would like to make something for winter or for your home – here are some of my easy and free patterns suitable for beginners.
- Ocean Breeze Crochet Scarf with Fringe
- Ocean Breeze Crochet Headband
- Twisted Ear Warmer / Winter Headband
- Crochet Knit-Look Infinity Scarf
- Crochet Simple Cup Cozy
And if you would like to challenge yourself a bit here is the popular Extra Thick Potholder – Half Double Crochet Thermal Stitch. This pattern also uses half double crochets but in a more advanced way. 🙂
I personally love the HDC stitch as it’s so versatile. What will you make using the half double crochet stitch?
I would love to see your projects! If you use any of my patterns – share it on Instagram and tag me @my_crochet_space.
More Crochet Stitch Tutorials
- Crochet Lemon Peel Stitch – Quick Tutorial
- How to Crochet the Crumpled Griddle Stitch
- Granny Stitch Crochet
- Crochet Thermal Stitch
- How to Make Crochet Flowers
- Moss Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- Double Crochet Stitch Instructions
- How to Crochet – a Step by Step Guide